Saturday, November 6, 2010

Friendship: A Quick One

I heard something about friendship VS. facebook. Something about taking a stand on behalf of REAL friendship by taking action and DEFRIENDING in Facebook. You dont really distance anything or anyone from a "Facebook World" by establishing a holiday based on activity done in the same world. Right now, to me, Facebook is what Im typing and MAYBE the rest of the visible screen. I dont know offhand how many "friends" i have. I never had my concept of friendship confused with Facebook terminology. And Facebook does not play a central role in my life. Noam Chomsky, in some way, says that what keeps our brand of democracy going is a never ending stream of inconsequential "opinions" on which we can fall on either side of, as long as the chatter continues. It is what media exists for. So ill continue to communicate with people on Facebook. Ill state opinions, make jokes. have fun. But does it have anything to do with my worldview? None whatsoever. Does it tell me something about the worldview of everyone else? Certainly. The last I remember an intense discussion over the meaning of "friends" and how many you had was when I taught high school and it was Myspace. Now I can only hope the theme of this blog is supported by a prominent media figure or Im screeeewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment