Saturday, January 4, 2020

Polyglot

Image result for polyglot

Learn the language of those who can help you. You may find yourself speaking in metaphors, only to learn that your message is not getting across. Psychology is like a language. Relax, that's a simile, not a metaphor. Where was I? Psychology is like a language, with many dialects, but a language nonetheless. It should not be difficult to recognize that not everyone speaks the language. How many do not speak it? Do you ask yourself that? At what point does it become apparent that one may need to be a polyglot to reach and help more people? At the very least, there must be a way to avoid dropping individuals in the deep end, with no bearings. You may speak English, but how is a person who speaks zero English going to get help? 

Yes, I still tend to lapse into my native tongue, metaphors. This is a space where I have that freedom. When I lose that freedom, or at least lose touch with it, my ability to communicate becomes difficult. That means it becomes more likely that the people around me will have more difficulty understanding me. Be clear and concise, they tell me. Any hints help, as long as they increase my chances of being heard and understood. 

No matter how certain you are that you made yourself clear, no matter how certain you are that your thoughts are apparent to others, you may have to return again and again to refining whatever language is getting your message across. Everyone around you may speak the same language but does that mean they are communicating? What compels someone to work on this skill? Don't wait until it is life and death. Start working on your language skills now.

No comments:

Post a Comment